The President and Executive Committee of the West End Bowling Club, extend a warm welcome to our club and want you to enjoy our clubrooms, bar facilities and hospitality. Our policy is to serve alcohol and food, to members and invited guests, in a friendly responsible manner and in an environment that is comfortable, safe and enjoyable. Key elements of our host responsibility policy are:
• Substantial food will be available at all times that the bar is open. This consists of assorted mircowavable pies, lasagna toppers and pizzas. We also offer menus from local food establishments and they are located on the wall next to the bar.
• The Club will not serve alcohol to minors. Staff are instructed to insist on proper identification of age from anyone who appears 25 years of age or under. The three acceptable forms of identification are the HANZ 18+ Card, Photo Drivers Licence, or a current NZ or overseas Passport. If no proof, alcohol will not be served. There are no exceptions.
• A range of low and non-alcoholic drinks will be available at all times the bar in open. Examples of these include tea, coffee, soft drinks, fruit juice, and a low alcohol beer option. We encourage patrons to also have a designated driver, who can take advantage of the above range.
• To enable patrons a safe journey home, we encourage and will arrange Taxi services and Pro-Drive services – their phone numbers are advertised at the bar, or ask bar staff to call them for you. Phones are available on the premises for this use.
• Our bar staff will not allow intoxicated or prohibited persons to enter the premises. They will also proactively monitor the drinking of all patrons, and are also committed to preventing patrons from becoming intoxicated. Nonalcoholic drinks and food will be encouraged for patrons to alleviate this problem. By law, anyone intoxicated, cannot enter or remain on the premises, nor purchase alcohol, and will be asked to leave.
• Bar staff will not engage in any ‘in-house’ promotion that encourages patrons to drink more alcohol. The Club will comply with the National Protocol on alcohol promotions. Guidelines include the number of drinks served at any one time and the limitation on ‘stockpiling’ of drinks.
• Our bar staff have a legal right to refuse service. It is the clubs duty that staff who sell alcohol to patrons are aware of their host responsibility and the clubs host responsibility policy. The club will maintain and encourage its training and management of staff, to attend ‘host responsibility’ and industry workshops, to provide them with skills and support they need to do their job responsibly.
APPROVED AND ADOPTED BY THE CLUB’S EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE